Baking doesn’t have to be about following the rules. Clever tricks and tips turn packet mixes and readymade cakes into delicious homemade treats.
Jazz up a cake
- Cheat’s fondant fancies make best party food: just cut the ready-made sponge into 5cm cubes, cover with ready-to-roll icing and drizzle with melted chocolate.
- Bake a marble cake using a chocolate sponge mix and a plain sponge mix. Make them up separately in 2 bowls, dollop alternate spoonfuls into a large cake tin, and swirl together gently before baking.
- Upside-down cake is a simple and impressive dessert. Pour chocolate cake mix over drained tinned pears or plain cake mix over peaches. Bake, turn out of the tin and serve with ice cream or crème fraîche.
- Include a teaspoon of Madagascan vanilla extract or Sicilian lemon extract to a plain sponge mix to provide your cake additional flavor.
- For a fast fruit fall apart, leading frozen red berry mix (such as blackberries, strawberries, blackcurrants, as well as redcurrants) with a prefabricated collapse mix. Bake in a tool oven up until bubbling and golden brownish.
- Soft cake, as well as crunchy fall apart, are a wonderful combination: spray prefabricated crumbles mix over fruity muffins prior to baking.
Utilize a shortcrust pastry mix, sweetened with sugar, to cook shortbread rounds. When trendy, sandwich and top with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Dust with icing sugar.
A packet scone mix makes a quick cobbler dessert or scones for afternoon tea.
- For a classic fruit cobbler, make the scone dough according to pack instructions and roll into balls. Put chopped apples and pears or red berry mix in an ovenproof dish, dot scone balls over the top to cover, then bake.
- Pinwheel scones are a clever twist on tradition. Roll scone dough into a rectangle and sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon, and dried mixed fruit. Roll into a sausage shape, cut into rounds and bake until risen and golden.
Pizza dough tips
- Calzone: compose your pizza dough and also leading with passata, mozzarella, and fresh basil. Fold in half, close the sides and cook.
- Cash rounds: spin your pizza cash into walnut-size spheres. Brush with a little bit of melted butter as well as turn in finely cut garlic. Bake and work as a scrumptious snack food.
- Soft crackers: roll pizza dough right into long, slim sausage designs. Variation into a cracker knot, brush with ruined egg and also spread with sesame seeds just before baking.
You may also be interested in How to melt chocolate